NAPCAN Children See Children Do

NAPCAN, Australia’s National Association for the Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect, launched a thought-provoking television/cinema campaign this year with “Children See, Children Do”. The 90 second spot features children following adults, mimicking their habits. At first the pattern appears to be innocuous, talking on a mobile phone while walking through a city square, making a call on a public telephone, waiting behind the yellow line in a railway station. The behaviour becomes more insidious with a girl copying a woman’s smoking habits on an escalator. A boy follows as a grown man carelessly knocks a struggling mother’s bag off her shoulder. We see examples of litter, drunken behaviour, road rage, racism and cruelty to animals. A woman yells at her baby, accompanied by her older daughter. A man is joined by his son as he verbally and physically abuses his wife.

Domestic violence involving father and son

The super: “Children See. Children Do”. The clip finishes with a scene from a public carpark in which a man assists a woman whose groceries have been spilled. The children join in. The tagline for Child Friendly Parenting: “Make your influence positive”.

Click on the image below to play the video in YouTube

The TV/cinema campaign links with a website, childfriendly.org.au, in which NAPCAN provides resources for positive parenting.

Credits

The Children See Children Do campaign was developed pro bono at DDB, Sydney, by creative director Matt Eastwood with creatives Charlie Cook and Simon Johnson, and agency producer Sean Ascroft.

Filming was directed by Sean Meehan at Soma Films with producer Sam McGarry.

Editor was Peter Whitmore at Winning Post.

Music was composed for the ad by Hylton Mowday at JAM. Hylton Mowday won the APRA AGSC award for best music for a TV commercial in 2007.

NAPCAN worked with DDB to raise awareness of all adult Australians that responsibility for children’s wellbeing goes beyond parents and child care professionals.

Children’s Guardian were involved in filming to ensure that children were not exposed to harm in any way. The domestic violence had adults and children filmed separately then placed together in post production. The girl with the cigarette had her cigarette and smoke added to her shot in post production.

Soundtracks

There are two songs used in the NAPCAN ad. The Soma Films online version has “Rabbit in your headlights”, sung by Thom Yorke for Unkle. The NAPCAN online version has a song, written and performed for the campaign, with the lyrics, “It looks like rain again today, dark clouds gather, fill the sky. Don’t know how to talk to you, just know how to say goodbye.”

Download the Inspiration Room iPhone app free at the iTunes App Store.
This entry was posted in NAPCAN, TV Ads Cinema and Online Videos and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
Location Australia Australia

35 Responses to NAPCAN Children See Children Do

1. Neusa says:

Greetings,

My name is Neusa and I am a 46-year old mother from São Paulo, Brazil. I was amazed with your great TV advertisement. I am sure the parents who see it will think twice before having such appalling attitudes in front of their children.
    I fell in love with the song too. I can not find the name anywhere. Would you be willing to share its name with me?

Yours faithfully,

Neusa

2. janis says:

i want that song

3. Nuno says:

I just love this music. Can anyone tell me who is the author, and what’s the name of the song.

• Tom Smedberg says:

I happen to know the author of this song. It’s by a Swedish band called Kent and the song is called Nålens öga. Here’s a youtube link for the full song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgnB4kQROW8 enjoy. Kent is the greatest band on earth by the way.

4. Tim says:

Great video. I would also be interested in knowing about the song. Thank you.

5. Paul Bacak says:

Has anyone found the song anywhere. I have looked online for the past hour for it. and I can’t find it. let me know if you know what it is. Thanks!

6. D says:

i would also like to know who wrote, or sang the song?

7. Cybeles Lehner says:

Dear Sirs,

I received this video clip a month ago and I can’t remember how many times I have watched it !

Being a mother and an ESOL teacher in Minas Gerais, Brasil, this video came in handy and it makes me cry whenever I watch it.

Congratulations on such a great job ! It is awsome and goes deep inside…

I wonder if there is a way that I could receive more videos like this by email I would very much appreciate your reply.

Thanks.

Cybeles Lehner
    Pouso Alegre, MG
    Brasil

8. Am says:

This was probably one of the most touching commercials I have ever seen. I was left speechless by the end. I have sent this to everyone I know because people dont understand the power they have over our youth and its about time we use it for something good. i think this was such a powerful message that it can not afford to be left unnoticed!

ps -- Would you be able to let me know who sings the song in the video, as I like many others have been inspired by it!

9. The whole world would like to know who sings the “It looks like rain again today” song in the online version.

Please share the title/artist…pretty please?

10. To all others, here’s what I found online at
    http://www.10ad.org/children-see-children-do/ :

Gday John,

It was actually composed in 30mins by our Advertising team from DDB so there is no actual artist or song title apart from Children See Children Do.
    We don’t have the song on WAV or MP3 file we only have the video of the Ad.
    It’s such a powerful ad I think the song really compliments the message as well.
    Cheers,
    Kristian Goodacre| Administration Assistant
    NAPCAN Foundation
    T 02 9211 0224 | F 02 9211 5676
    preventing child abuse -- before it starts

11. Ricardo De la Rosa says:

Hello, I’m from Mexico and I work in a college, here we start a campaign to try to change bad attitudes in children and teachers and this video is a very important part of that.

12. Alyx says:

This advertisement is amazing beyond belief.
    and it is heartbreaking. i love what are doing. =]
    the song is completely amazing too.

13. Oakie V. McCulloch says:

Hey, like everyone else, I was impressed with the deepness of the message delivered. I’m not even a parent and the ad left me thinking for hours afterward. Also like everyone else; I want to know what the HECK the song and artist are! :)

14. aaron says:

IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE THE MUSIC ON MP3 FOR, LET ME KNOW I HAVE A PROGRAM THAT ALOWS ME TO TAKE MUSIC FROM THE INTERNET AND TURN IT TO MP3, MY EMAIL IS FRDRANGER25401@AOL.COM

15. Tiff says:

Hi -- love the song too -- I think the song is called Rain and originally performed by Foreigner (early 1990s) but I am not sure who performs this version.

16. the Underground Space Junkie says:

Ah ha, i have to thank you guys. Im doing an yr12 essay on your add for school, i believe its a good one to. Espeacily for the queastion

“Discuss how this visual text explores aspects of growing up and bringing about growth and change”

Hmmmm, pity you didnt mention anything about the main reason why you wanted to film it. It would of greatly helped.

Anyway thanks again. . . .

- the Underground Space Junkie

By the way, Maybe you should write more of that song, looks like you could have a big hit on your hands.

17. Jonatan Diego Ferreira says:

Hi all,

I received this video a long time ago, and liked this song so much but I couldn’t find it anywhere, so I have tried to make contact with NAPCAN.

The music was an original composition by Hylton Mowday at Speed of Sound studios.

This is the info I received from the advertising company that did the ad…

Jonatan Diego Ferreira
    Computer Engineering
    Joinville-SC
    Brazil

18. David Lowe says:

I don’t know for sure, but I think that song has to be by radiohead, if it’s not radiohead they were certainly influenced

19. Claudinei says:

The clip is awesome. I’d wonder to play to my students. May I?

20. julie anne says:

u pple r awsum!!
    just saying
    good luck
    save the lil pple

21. Cindy Pechon says:

I would like to be able to download “child see, child do” and use in my mental health practice.

22. Nazli Demirel says:

Thank you all for make us remember/realize those painfull realities. We do what we saw and our children will do what they would see and so on… Like a bit mouse wheel! We all need to wake up that what we are and what our metamorphosis is after we have became parents that have been choosen by ourselves! That’s the realization! Thanks again!

23. deadcandance says:

Amazing Video and sooo true! I have a 3 1/2 year old and she is building her whole persona at this stage based on what she learns from her parents.

Does anyone know where one can acquire the song in full from this video?

24. deadcandance says:

Does anyone know where one can acquire the song in full from this video?

25. Paywell says:

Wow, I’ve seen it on a facebook-like Ukrainian website and everybody’s asking about The Song!
    I’ve figured it’s Coldplay, BUT since it’s original NAPCAN -- maybe somebody would post it?

26. Karina says:

the song and artist are Asker-chosen

27. Addiscuss says:

A powerful depiction.

28. Cengizhan says:

Please can anybody say the song’s name and who performed this song :( ? I am beggin :S I really loved the video but song is awesome :D

29. renita Bremner says:

we started a womens group in our community and i think this clip is really great for our parents to see what WE are doing to our children and how we can help change our community. how can i download this clip and use it in our group.

30. muhammet says:

where can i download the music of this video, i really want it, please help me to find it my friends?

31. Naveen Noah Jason says:

i think what napcan should do is sell the music used in their ads every year. the funds generated could be put to further use. i think its very clever strategy to not release the music so that people would be forced to watch the videos again and again. i’m not complaining but i sure would like to get the music like all my brethren up there

32. Shea K says:

So I’m left pondering: If this is truly the inspiration room, how is it that these videos do so little to inspire me? I find it far less effective to use images of people doing destructive, angry things than to use images of children ‘seeing then doing’ the many beautiful things adults do every day, in all of our small but significant, caring ways. If I’m a violent person watching these current videos, I’m imagining that the images either work me up, trigger my anger or perhaps bring on internal shame & guilt. Unfortunately, none of these reactions actually inspire a recognition of my own innate virtues of forgiveness, tolerance, patience, compassion, self acceptance.

And still pondering: Won’t more images of what we could be doing to create a life that can be truly & fully enjoyed inspire us to these heights, rather than the ongoing focus on negative imagery?? Media is seriously powerful; with great power comes great responsibility.

33. Gord McCreight says:

YNow It looks like rain again dark clouds gather, fill the sky, Don’t know how to talk to you.Just know to say goodbye. If this storm ever ceases, Sky opens for the sun in time, Will it show the warmth again, or leave its broken peices behind.Dont know how to talk to you.just know how to say goodbye. Scared and lonely all the time, should I have this quilt, all mine.Trying to release the pain, looking for a place to hide.Don’t know how to talk to you, just know how to say goodbye Opened scars will heal with time, reveiling better days.Can’t go on forever stealing from an innocent kind. Don’t know how to talk to you, just know how to say goodbye.Looks like rain again, dark clouds gather, fill the sky. Rest of songsong composed by Gord McCreight of Orillia Ontario or gordo mcc.@rogers.com

34. Robyn says:

Please advise if this advert was banned in Australia or the advertiser only wanted short run time on TV/media. It is a very powerful message that needs to be heard and if banned then I would like to protest to the Australian advertising board as this advertisement MUST be allowed to be shown. Looking forward to hearing from you.